Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Just Beneath the Surface...

Buried (R)
Directed by Rodrigo Cortes and Starring Ryan Reynolds




 A hard-working American man in Iraq, driving trucks under contract with the United States government, wakes up in a box buried somewhere with time running out for anyone to find him.  Given only the tools to meet the demands of those responsible (a lighter and glow stick, a cell phone with a low battery and the clothes on his back), Paul Conroy finds himself struggling to survive and finding the answers to the mystery that brought him beneath the surface.

 This is a very well-constructed and suspenseful mystery that surprisingly grabs hold and doesn't let go until the end.  In the tradition of classic Hitchcock, Buried literally takes your breath away and puts you in the box with Paul.

 I'll admit, before I saw this movie, I thought to myself, "Sounds all right, but how in the world can they make a movie about a guy buried alive and keep it interesting?"  Well... they did it.  They kept me on the edge of my seat and I found myself rooting for Paul (and for a breath), hoping he would solve the mystery and foil the insidious plot that placed him there.
 For an hour and a half, I was glued to the story.  It is told surprisingly well and the movie is visually stunning and interesting perspectives keep you nice and close, packed tightly with the main (really, the only) character of the film.
 Ryan Reynolds shows off a great skill in his performance once again that proves his talent lies far beyond the comedy he's known for.  I remember seeing him in the Amityville Horror remake in 2005.  He impressed me then and he impresses me still.

 I won't ruin the ending, but will say, if you love good mystery and suspense that has you taking (and appreciating) deep breaths, you'll love this film.  Check it out.  You'll definitely dig it (sorry, i couldn't help the pun...lol).

Enjoy.

Brice

No comments:

Post a Comment